Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Irony or Fate?

I sit here before a computer and look around the place I live in. I see a coffee mug near the monitor, a cell phone and an Ipod. There's a cot, a cupboard full of books and dress. Generally, leading a comfortable and happy life with hope for the future.

And then, I look out through the window and watch a girl of my age (or perhaps younger than me) collecting garbage from the bin outside my home. Clad in a old, filthy dress, a sack on her shoulder and a stick in her hand to look into the bin with no intention to think about her future. Will she even know whether she'll get food the next day? Does she know about so many beautiful things in life? Does she even care? This whole design of privileged and underprivileged children pains me. Why should she(and many others like her) suffer when another part of the world is enjoying? I know there's no answer for this.

Then, I closely look at her and realize what she really is. I see her as a fighter. For survival. For existence. But what is she fighting for? With whom is she fighting?

Sigh. It's better not to be so sensitive.

6 comments:

Sathej said...

Its indeed a sad sight. The divide between the rich and the porr, the haves and have nots. Fighting with whom? Fighting for what? Well, she's fighting with the world, fighting with herself, fighting with her situation-fighting so that she she lives to fight another day.A pity..a touching post.
Sathej

sankar said...

hello i see u r blog see my blog tcln.blogspot.com click ads only

vignesh said...

i've also felt the same way many times.. but couldn't react except for may be thinking about it for sometime, or may be for a long time, n writing, speaking or guessin wat to do..

I wish i could help someday,someway..

Mathangi Thiagarajan said...

@sathej
True... very true!

@shankar mudaliar
Er... thanks for seeing my blog!

@vignesh
Thats the same with me too... rather with most of us... everybody wants to do something to these people but dunno when and how to start..

Madurai citizen said...

Fate, society, family, capacity, circumstances,surroundings,luck ,
feelings,etc., all the above things are the only factor that make differences within a society

Mathangi Thiagarajan said...

@madurai citizen
unfortunately they dont change for the betterment